Ulrome was recorded as Ulfram or Ulreham in 1086 and is beleived to be an Anglian name altered by Scandinavian influences meaning ‘Wulfhere’s or Wulfwaru’s homesead’.
In 1066 there were two manors of Ulrome held by Thorkil and Thorsten.
This passed to Drew de Bevrere and in 1086 was held by Erenbald, later it formed part of the Aumale fee. The counts of Aumale, who held the land of Holderness for two hundred years, came into England at the end of the Conqueror’s reign. They cam from Aumale in the north-estern corner of Normandy, the counts lost their Norman lands in 1204, but kept their continental title until the last Aumale heiress, died in 1274. Most of the Aumale fee was later held by a family named from the place. Its members may have included an abbot of Meaux and the 14th century artist-monk John of Ulrome.